After days of list making and packing and gathering everything we needed for the trip (our car was packed tight for just the three of us!) we headed out to North Fork Campground on the American River. We had never been to this campground before but from what we read about it, it was a very popular campground due to the close proximity of a waterfall with a fabulous swimming hole at the bottom of it. Apparently, that weekend, everyone made other plans because we were the ONLY people in the campground. No other campers, no campground host. At night it was just a little creepy-in the middle of nowhere, where no one would hear you scream. Yes, I freaked out a bit. We lived through the night. :)
I had debated for weeks about what to do with Riley at night. We thought about putting him in the pack n play to sleep, letting him sleep with us, I just couldn't decide. I wanted to make sure he was warm enough all night. In the end, we folded a sleeping bag in half, put it on an egg crate, put blankets on top and under it and laid it next to our bed. It worked great. He was so warm he was actually sweating. It was butt cold. Sorry for the expression but I know no other way to describe just how absolutely freezing it was. We would huddle in the sleeping bag in the morning and try to change Riley's diaper while he shivered the whole time. Butt cold. And a heck of a lot of fun. We played games, roasted marshmallows and went hiking to the waterfall. Riley liked the hiking backpack so much he fell asleep in it on the way back to camp.
Dave tried his hand at fly fishing and Riley and I played in the water. Riley had a top tooth break skin Saturday night and that made him quite the unhappy baby half the night, but other than that, everything went very smooth. Did I mention it was cold? Oh and I can't end without giving out a HUGE kudos and thanks to Ryan and Elaine who went with us and didn't complain once about anything-not the teething cries at 1 am, the 6am wake up calls, or having to hang around camp when Riley took his naps. They were huge sports about it. I know they were secretly thinking, "Just wait till we have kids. We'll get you back..."
2 comments:
ooo. I hate cold. It's a good thing we weren't there I probably would have cried longer and louder than Riley. Have any of the other teeth come through yet?
Not yet. His other top tooth has been close to coming out for about a week now but it just wont poke through yet.
Post a Comment