Thursday, February 4, 2016

I'm Baaaaaaaaaccckkkk!

        I've got a lot to cover so grab a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and settle in.  I'm going to skip the missing year and start with last fall.  I tried very hard to post pictures and videos to all of you who follow the blog on Facebook so hopefully you don't feel like you've missed out on TOO much.
       Some monumental events that happened during the skipped year-Riley finished 1st grade AND actually stood up on stage during his entire end of year music show with a smile and did the whole show. Amazing isn't it!! Emily finished preschool and had her first dance show on stage at a local high school theater.  She ALSO went on stage every time and did her routine, smiled and honestly...loved every second of it!  Aaron finished his first year of preschool too.  He cried for a solid 45 minutes on his first day and I sat outside his classroom door listening and doing the same thing.  It was awful.  After that first day though, he was all good.  He and Emily both had end of year programs on stage and BOTH stood up there and did the whole show.  We weren't sure it was going to happen since Emily refused to do her Christmas show of the same year and sat with us in the audience the whole time.  Our kiddos are seriously growing up!  We spent the summer at Tahoe and at the pool and doing lots of fun stuff-pictures of everything are on Instagram if you'd like to catch up that way.  My name is olsenentb on there.

      I've tried to find a way to put pictures into short videos so the blog can be shorter but you can still see everything.  I looked in to snapchat but eeeeehhh.  For now, flipagram seems to be the way.  We'll see if it sticks.  I have some pictures and some flipagrams for you and lots of words.  Always lots of words.  :)

     Riley started second grade this year and cried the whole way there.  Boy has fear issues.  He got over it and loves his teacher and his class.  He has developed quite an attitude and I'm left wondering why no one warned me about the terrible 8's. ;)  He is LOVING soccer and played in the fall and also for indoor soccer this last winter. He is already signed up for spring soccer too.  He still loves legos and star wars and all things he can create with.  It is normal to find him either in the playroom creating something with art supplies or in the garage, building with whatever he can get his hands on. Riley also had the pleasure of getting 2 teeth pulled, expanders put in his mouth over the summer and now a nightly retainer.  He has been a serious champ through it all though and we are very proud of him.


                                                               



     For his birthday, Riley really wanted to go miniature golfing. He also asked for a Halo themed party.  We took him and a couple friends to Magic Carpet Golf (his choice) and they had a great time.  Our first party with friends and no parents to tag along and keep them under control.  Times are a changin...





     Emily started full day Kindergarten.  I was beside myself with worry over how she was going to do.  As usual, I should not have because she is doing fantastic.  We are very happy with our choice to hold her back a year to start.  She LOVES Kindergarten and strives to be the very best at everything.  She is reading and writing and loves learning!  When she started Kindergarten, she didn't even know all of her letters and now she is reading at grade level.  Did I mention she loves learning? ;)
 She is still dancing and also loves to swim and play tennis.




At the Jog a thon-3rd week of school

      Emily wanted a mermaid birthday party at our community pool and thankfully the weather obliged. Unfortunately, every single one of us got hit with that bad stomach virus the day before her birthday.  Aaron threw up in the car on the way home from soccer practice on Thursday night and the Saturday after the other two and myself dropped like flies one after the other.  I haven't puked like that in a very long time.  We were actually quite fortunate though in that the kids and I were all better the next day and could celebrate Emily's birthday and didn't have to cancel her party since it was outdoors and her amazing friends came even though they knew she could still be contagious.  Also lucky in that Dave did not get sick Saturday and could take care of the kids while I puked the night away.  He was down for the day on Emily's birthday though and spent it in bed which was very sad.  We took good care of him.  My incredible family stepped in and helped me get everything down to the pool and handled all food just in case I was contagious.  I had to skip making Emily's cake and bought one from the local bakery instead. Not a one of us could eat it but everyone else did and Emily loved it anyway.




     Aaron started his second year of preschool this year.  I call it the real year of preschool since last year was the bare minimum and really just served as a way to get him used to being at school.  He will start Kindergarten next year and there is no half day options any more.  He will be 6 months younger than the others were when he starts.  He loves to stay home and we are worried the transition will be hard for him. To help out, he started this year going to half day preschool 3 days a week and then starting this week, he is going every morning for the rest of the school year.  He is handling it well so far but he would still rather be home.  



    Aaron has decided that soccer is what he wants to do, but Dave and I are pretty sure it is not his sport and right now he loves anything and everything his big brother does.  He is signed up for the spring and is playing on a team with a friend from school. We can't wait to see how it goes.  

   Let's see...one kid in dance one night a week, one in soccer one night a week and one in soccer 2 nights a week.  Unless they are all on different nights, I have no idea how I will make it happen.  It's only the beginning you say?  Ya.  I know.  I'm tired just thinking about it.  

    That wraps up life so far.  All that's left is the holidays.  I've got flipagrams for those so don't worry-I'm almost done!

Halloween 2015.  Dave stayed up until 2am finishing the boys' Halo helmets. I stayed up with him and talked his face off. *grin
  


   
     Thanksgiving was a bit different this year.  We went up to Sac to spend the day with my family and then that Saturday had another dinner with Olsens.  The rest of our weekend we put up our tree and welcomed Christmas.





     This year we headed up to Virginia City to ride the Candy Cane Train ( A Polar Express knockoff) and see the parade of lights early in the month.  A cold adventure, but fun nonetheless.  Christmas came way too fast. Our day was filled with the norm.  At bedtime Christmas night, Emily says to me, "Wow Mom.  I wish Christmas was EVERY day!"  Haha  I always think the day AFTER Christmas is when Christmas really starts.  We hang out, watch movies, play with our presents and not a chore or dish gets done.  Best.  Day.  Ever
    The weekend after, we took the kids ice skating for the first time.  All three of them skated around the rink by themselves and had a fantastic time.
   
   




Last up-We celebrated David turning 38 with a requested low key dinner and cake.


Oh I can't forget!  Emily lost her first 2 teeth!  One a week after the other.  And the second one lost forever.  Swallowed it.  Or spit it out.  She's not sure. HA!




No comments: