Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Itty Bitty

Emily had her six month checkup on Monday. To everyone's surprise, she only gained about half a pound in the last two months. The doctor wasn't concerned, but she DID think that she should've gained more. Babies usually double their birth weight by 6 months. Emily was born at just over 9 pounds so she should weigh about 18 pounds right now. She weighed in at 12 pounds 10 ounces. It's weird to think that she has only gained about 3 and a half pounds since she was born. She is in the 3rd percentile in weight and the 23rd in height. So....she's my itty bitty. We're not really worried, and neither is the doctor-she is meeting all of her developmental benchmarks and is incredibly aware of the world and alert. I HAVE been assigned some homework though. Emily will go back to the doctor in two weeks for a weigh in. She is to eat 3 meals of solid food a day and eat until she refuses to eat another bite. I also have to breastfeed her until she refuses to take it when I offer. (she had been eating two meals a day and breastfeeding until she was no longer interested) I have also been instructed to add more calories to my diet-not a problem! In two weeks we'll weigh her again and if she has gained enough weight ( a few ounces I think) then they will be happy.
Dave and I are already happy with her.
She is such a joy.
We don't care if she's itty bitty!
It runs in the family.



2 comments:

Ms. Meo said...

She is precious! We have problems getting Lena to grow too. She is almost three and I'm hoping that she'll hit 23 pounds by the time that we take her in to her check up. :)

When she was Emily's age, we added heavy whipping cream to all of her baby food. That seemed to help quite a bit. Happy growing!

Dallas Lange said...

I love itty bitty girls too. Emily and her cousin can have that special connection! I checked and Reese weighed 13 lbs 5 oz at 6 months.