Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Our Itty Bitty plus a pound

Emily's doctor appointment was last week. Both Dave and Debbi had commented that Emily was looking a bit chubbier so I really wasn't worried. After a couple minutes of fuss over wether to weigh her on the regular scale or the digital scale, we put her on the regular one. The doctor let out an audible gasp and stared at Emily in wonder. She had gained 14 ounces-an ounce per day. The doctor said that it was amazing and she couldn't believe it-they had hoped for maybe a third of that. So our Itty Bitty is now 7 months old and weighs 13 pounds 8 ounces-still small but everyone is happy now. I mentally muttered, "of course she gained weight! We're shoveling food down her throat like she may never get a chance to eat again!"

Next, came MY homework check. When Emily was two weeks old, she hadn't gained back her birth weight yet, so they checked my milk to see how many calories per ounce I was producing. I came in at 40 calories-a record high, and the only record I have ever had by the way. Last appointment, they checked my milk again. I came in at 16 calories per ounce. There goes the record. I was told to eat more and feed her more. Last week, I was checked again and came in at 32 calories per ounce. I was told to keep up the good work and enjoy the food. I'll enjoy the food alright, what I don't enjoy is the three pounds I gained in the last two weeks that I'll never get rid of!

Emily is doing great and loves to eat. What she wants most in life, is to have whatever food is on mom and dad's plate. Since she doesn't chew very well yet, she's gonna have to wait. Which makes her, daily, very annoyed. :)

No comments: